Sunday, November 23, 2008

Why I Swore off Acne Medications

There are over 50 million people in America alone who suffer from acne and sadly this permits for exploitation from the many marketers and impostors out to make a fast buck at the expense of the vulnerable and desperate.

Now, I was once in the category of the frantic and susceptible, in my desperate attempts to get rid of my acne-both as a teenager and a young adult- but not anymore.

After adopting the use of drug-free methods of curing my acne such as a drastic change in my diet, facial massaging and other basic hygienic steps such as changing my pillow-cases daily, having a towel that was exclusively for my face etc, I have since swore off the use of acne medications as I am of the firm belief that most don�t work and may actually aggravate an already debilitating situation.

Now friends, I tried it all (well everything except plastic surgery) Proactive, Clearasil, Neutrogena, Benzoyl peroxide medications�you name it, I tried it and from my experience, nothing worked.

One product would probably just dry my skin out that I�d literally have to rotate my jaw just to get elasticity back in my face; while the other would so irritate my skin, I�d have to be so careful not to even touch it.

Moreover, thinking about the time I spent and wasted using these products actually makes me laugh.

For one I had to use a cleanser, then the mask (10-15 minutes for this one folks) and afterwards a toner and �concealer�? Now, keep in mind, I�m a guy and no, I�m not in show-business.

Let�s take a look at some other popular products like Adapalene gel (Differin), Clindamycin phosphate (Cleocin T), Azelic acid (Azelex), Tretinoin.

Friends, most people-like I did -develop side effects from using prescription topical acne remedy medications. These include stinging, burning, redness, peeling, scaling, or discoloration of the skin. Hey, aren�t we trying to get a smoother skin here�?!

In addition, when I was prescribed tetracycline and minocycline, both on different occasions by a dermatologist for oral medication, I had to deal with upset stomach, dizziness and lightheadedness which usually kicked in within minutes after use.

Moreover, I was told I�d have to take oral antibiotics for as long as 4 to 6 months for an effective acne treatment! 4-6 months�?! Now I don�t know about you, but that is an awfully long time to wait for an acne remedy to work, especially when a natural inexpensive alternative for the treatment of acne could give you the same results in less than 7 to 10 days when done properly.

Thankfully my acne has since gone and though I mentioned I wasn�t in show business above, maybe I�d give it a shot eh? That�s how improved my skin condition is and how much more confident I feel and this is from a guy who loathed and cringed to have his picture taken or to even step out from his room.

We all differ, so if you�ve had success from acne medications, by all means feel free to use them, however, if like the majority you have had no success with the wide range of so called acne remedies then why not try alternative methods of clearing up your skin. It worked for me and chances are it can work for you.


Here�s to a clearer skin naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment